Monday, November 19, 2012

gingerbread waffles



It's starting to look a lot like Christmas here! The kids and I have been on a Christmas crafting storm around here lately. I have a week full of posts this week, and we're still going strong. 

I saw a recipe for these gingerbread waffles in a magazine for our local grocery store and knew right away that I wanted to make them for breakfast. The night before I was going to make them, I spent thirty minutes or so combing my Pinterest boards and browser history trying to find the recipe. That was before I remembered that I'd read it in a magazine, and not seen the recipe online. Not hard to tell that we're moving to a digital world!


These waffles will make your house smell so good all day long. Claire said the the batter smelled like donuts. How can you go wrong with that?

Gingerbread Waffles

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 eggs
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup butter, melted

In a bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Add in buttermilk, eggs, molasses and butter. Stir everything together, until well combined.

Fill greased waffle iron with 1/2 of batter per waffle. Cook until golden brown. Serve right away with butter and maple syrup.

Note: Since I never actually have buttermilk on hand, I just add white vinegar to my milk and let it sit for 5 minutes before using it. For this recipe, add 1 1/2 tbsp vinegar to the 1 1/2 cups of milk.

I love waffles, but for some reason my kids prefer pancakes. I made pancakes for the kids using this recipe, and waffles for myself. If you're going to make these into pancakes, I would add another little splash of milk to make the batter a little runnier.

Recipe adapted from Sobeys' Inspired Magazine Holiday  2012

Enjoy!


7 comments:

  1. These look delish! I love gingerbread. And waffles. Yum! I'm a new follower and would love for you to check out my blog too!

    www.lastnightsdinnerblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm! I love anything gingerbread, and I love waffles! These sound sooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The gingerbread part sounds so interesting! How did they turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies. They were delicious. I think that we'll make them again this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. UM Yes please! These look so very yummy and I can't wait to try them with my family! If you have a sec this weekend, I would love for you to share at Get Schooled Saturday! http://too-much-time.com/2012/11/get-schooled-saturday-50.html
    xxx
    Kim @ Too Much Time On My Hands

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious!! Perfect for the holiday season! I would love for you to come link up to my Get Social Sunday link party and show off your awesome ideas and blog! http://alivedinhome.blogspot.com/2012/12/get-social-sunday.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I'd love for you to share this or any of your great ideas at the link party going on now (and every Saturday - Tuesday) at 'Or so she says ...' Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Thanks for taking the time to say hi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...